Me!

Me!
After the Brighton Marathon 2010

Saturday 14 September 2013

Loving Newcastle so far

So, I flew up to Newcastle from Gatwick bright and early this morning.  It was a tiny plane, with propellers, but it was all over in an hour.  Then onto the DLR-style driverless metro to Newcastle Central Station and on to the hotel.  Which, it turns out is right on top of the station and in the middle of absolutely everything!

I got here about 11 and the room wasn't going to be ready until 2, so I spent a few hours wandering the streets in a largely aimless fashion, with my luggage over my shoulder.  After 3 hours of that, I was a bit knackered and got into my room at last with a bit of relief.

A quick check to make sure I could get online, and a couple of short messages to loved ones and it was back out again to try to find the official pasta party.  If you're doing a charity run there IS such a thing as a free lunch.  I did find it, and god, what a setting!  It was at the Sage building, next to the Millennium Bridge.  It was packed with other runners and their families and while I was there we even got a pep talk from Mara Yamauchi!!!  Very exciting.

So I'm fuelled and tired and certain I will sleep tonight, despite the proximity of the train tracks.  I really love Newcastle so far.  Incredibly friendly people and the crowds for the Junior runs were immense.  The weather today is pretty much perfect for running and for spectating.  It's a bit of a shame it doesn't seem likely to stay like this for tomorrow, but I'm sure people will be out lining the course.  That's especially important to me this time, as I have no 'home support' up here with me, so will be relying on having my name on my vest to get a few cheers on the way round.

Some pics from my meandering this afternoon follow.  There really are some amazing bits of architecture and views within a few minutes of the hotel.

Keep everything crossed for me tomorrow!!!

























If you are enjoying these blog posts, please consider sponsoring me in support of Diabetes UK at JustGiving. Many thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Apologies for all who, like me, hate text verification, but Poland is full of scum, hitting me with 10 to 20 spam comments a day and this is the only way to stop it.